I am an Indian Jesuit priest. I was born in the city of Alappuzha, in the State of Kerala. I have taught and done social works at Sneharam Jesuit Social Action Centre in Trivandrum in Kerala, India. I have my first degree (B.A.) in English Language and Literature, Master’s degree in Philosophy, Syriac Language and Literature. I have also completed my theological studies prior to my ordination.
I am planning to read for an MSt in Syriac Studies at Oxford. I would like to study Syriac in order to help in the preservation and revival of this endangered language. I am interested in fostering ecumenical unity among the divided Syriac Churches all around the world in general and particularly among the St. Thomas Syriac Churches in India.
I enjoy reading and studying languages. I have interest in Carnatic classical vocal music, Syriac Hymnology and Amateur theatre. I appreciate international art films.
Some works and Publications
- “Revolutionary Movements in Kerala.” Chuvappu, St. Joseph’s College, Devagiri, Calicut, Kerala, India, 2007.
- “Kramasamadanapalakaro Red volunteerso?” (An article against the violence of the Students' Federation of India, a university student-organized political wing of the Communist Party of India) Mathrubhumi, a daily newspaper in Malayalam, Kerala, India, March 11, 2008, Editorial session.
- “Kalalaya Rashtriyam.” (An article on students’ political movements in the University Campus) Mathrubhumi, a daily newspaper in Malayalam, Kerala, India, April 5, 2008, Editorial session.
- Translated the prayers of the Liturgy of the Hours and the Propriae of the Holy Qurbānāʾ used on the Thursday of baʿuthaʾ from Syriac to English. SEERI, Kerala, India, 2014.
Papers presented at conferences and seminars
1. “The Fisher Folk in Anjango and the Jesuits.” Paper presented at the National annual meeting of the Jesuit social workers, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India, March 16-19, 2012.
2. “Syriac Christian Cultural Heritage of Kerala: A Socio-political perspective.” Paper presented at the annual province meeting of the Society of Jesus, Kerala, India, March 4-7, 2013.
A published interview
1. Interview by J.S. Bablu, What campus is reading, The Hindu, an English-language Indian daily newspaper, November 28, 2006.This interview is available at http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-features/tp-educationplus/what-campus-is-reading/article3216077.ece.